Monday 24 June 2013

Top ten terrible songs - Part II

It's took me all of three weeks to come up with another five songs and today it looks like this. There's 100s of songs that I dislike with a passion. In theory, a top 100 would suffice but I'm a lazy sod, so ten will have to do. 

Before we start, a big hello to the person who sent me an email calling me a c**t for listing Journey's 'Don't stop believing' in the top five. It's good to know one is revered.

 6) Joe Dolce - Shaddap You Face
This is the song that has gone down in legendary terms of utter awfulness. Not only did it knock John Lennon's 'Woman' of the no-1 spot but it also kept 'Vienna' by Ultravox off the top spot for three weeks too.  As I boy I was partial to the odd novelty song but this takes the biscuit. It's just plain bad and anyone who bought this record should still be hanging their heads in shame 30 years later.

7) Tight Fit - The lion sleeps tonight
OK, now I'm on a roll and this bad boy is another on my hate list. Not least because I have a tendency to sing it while drunk. Some basic web research has lead me to discover that this song has been around for absolutely years. The guys who did this version have the right name as you'd have to be wearing tight fitting trousers to get up to those notes. 

Another song that makes you think the vocalist is missing something down below is this shocker from 2003 (wow ten years ago). I remember the hype about this band with people declaring them 'the new Queen' . The thing is Queen were good and these guys are not. This video has a bit of reverse psychology going on too. The band are playing it camp and naff in an attempt to be cool. What actually happens is you watch it and think 'pricks'. 

9) George Michael - Careless Whisper
Another song I subconsciously know all the words to. I'll set the scene, it's 1:50am on a Sunday morning in the early 90s. You're drunk but not too drunk as the crap nightclub waters down the crap lager. The DJ in his cheesy faux American accent, local radio style, tells you to take your partner for the last song of the night. You look around in blind panic for some girl to dance with, anyone will do. Then you realise every other guy in a bright coloured shirt is doing the same. It becomes a survival of the fittest to grab the girls dripping with cheap gold jewellery and who are standing alone. 

I've actually just given myself a panic attack with that flashback. Oh those painful memories as the song's opening bars reverberate around the tacky nightclub. 


10) DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
As it's summer you'd be be expecting to hear this sometime, somewhere. I've never gotten this Will Smith thing at all. I never watched The Fresh Prince, not once. I've also never enjoyed anyone of his films and I just find the bloke irritating. This track is neither here not there for me and it just simmers under the radar as a background noise. I don't even know what he's talking about and I suspect neither did they when the wrote it. 

The top five is here 




No comments:

Post a Comment