Saturday 1 June 2013

Top ten terrible songs

I like music, it's been a social and emotional crutch in my life at times. I used to play original Beatles 45s on my parent's record player from an early age which has resulted in two things. One, I'm a lifelong Beatles obsessive and anorak. Two, I'm a total music snob.

Growing up in the 1980s was an interesting time for a host of socio-economic reasons, not least the music  scene. For the large part the 80s was bloody awful in terms of fashion and hairstyles. I recall men with perms and girls wearing chunks of plastic as jewellery as two fine examples.



1980s music was on a different scale of rubbish at times but there was some absolute genius stuff around too with The Smiths, Joy Division and The Stone Roses being artists that I'll never tire of of.

This list including youtube links where applicable is not solely 1980s based but with it being my formative years this decade does take precedence.


1) Kylie Minoque - I should be so lucky 
I hate this song with a passion and have done since the very first time I heard it or saw the video. I couldn't stand Neighbours too, so little Kylie had no chance with her terrible vocals pathetic lyrics.  I've never found her attractive in any way either which means I wasn't blinded by her looks so as to be deafened to the bloody awful racket.


2) Journey - Don't stop believing 
This song which reached the dizzy heights of no-24 in the UK Charts would be long consigned to history if it wasn't such a piece of feel good trash. It's an annoying song that won't go away and keeps popping up every  few years in the most unexpected places. The final scene of the final episode of The Sopranos being the prime example. It's so unbelievably rubbish that after a few listens you start to get sucked in by it so beware.

A few years ago I was in a student bar (being the oldest swinger in town) when they played this song. Everybody and I mean everybody got up and went wild. Most of them weren't even born when it was released either. Needless to say I drank up and went home alone to listen to The Smiths 'How soon is now'.

3) They might be giants - Birdhouse in your soul. 
Words cannot begin to describe how bad this song is. I notice with an increasing loss of my faith in humanity that this song has now developed a cult following. OK, it's not the 80s but March 1990 if you also want to be pedantic too. Some 'comedy' songs aren't too bad if I'm being honest but this gives me a migraine just thinking about it. What the hell is about anyway?

4) Renee and Renato - Save your love
The song that needs no introduction if you were alive when it was released. It's so bad and cringeworthy that I couldn't bring myself watch the full video on youtube. To this day I still can't understand why Jimmy Greaves is in the music video and how the hell did he pull that blonde?


5) Too many broken hearts - Jason Donovan 
Fresh from the success of Kylie having hit after hit despite having no talent, Stock Aitken and Waterman ( a plague on all their houses) brought us another fresh faced antipodean with no thought for our personal well being. This was Jason's first song and he really couldn't sing at all. You can hear his monotone, computerised  vocals struggling with the clichéd lyrics.

Three questions from the video sprung to my mind and even back than I thought 'bollocks'. Firstly, on springing from his bed (undishevelled) he warms himself by the stove in spite if it being a warm sunny day outside. Secondly, how does one plug in an electric guitar on a hillside and thirdly, the part he's strumming to doesn't have a guitar playing in the bloody song.

Part II of my run down coming soon......


1 comment:

  1. Dude - Journey s hugely UNDERrated internationally! Always good to hear it abroad. Stone in Love is one of their best, rarely heard abroad.
    And TMBG was awesomely experimental for their time.
    Smiths? Overrated.
    80 music, pure hell.
    Best decade ever - the 70s (a lot of "60s" music is really from the 70s. Their were so many great one hit wonder songs in the 70s, not an era of just big groups.

    ReplyDelete