Saturday 3 January 2015

The Interview

As I live in South Korea and am married to a South Korean lady I can think of nobody better to provide a critique of the said movie in a balanced and authoritative manner.

In short, it's a load of tosh and I really wouldn't bother watching it. The idea behind it is very fresh and original but the execution is just plain crude from all quarters.

It could have been a very good dark comedy based around the serious issue of North Korea and its oppressed population. What transpired was little under two hours of smutty innuendo that will only appeal to those who think that Dan Brown is a good author.

Now, I'm British and even for most British people I have a warped sense of humour but this movie really took the biscuit. The part where the CIA agents knocked on the apartment door to first approach the main antagonists, was just cringeworthy in its attempt to be funny.

There was so much potential here and it was utterly wasted by the scriptwriters. They only had to look to the excellent 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind' from 2002 to see how dark, spy comedy should be done. The Interview sadly pales in comparison and should be shelved next to "Carry on Spy', but even that is pushing it.

From a North or even South Korean prospective I can see how this movie could be intriguing. They probably won't get the endless sexual references or the fact the Kim Jong Un supposedly follows through while being interviewed (yep, seriously). Koreans would see this as as the parody it desperately wants to be. North Korea will be outraged of course, saving face is everything in this part of the world and there will be plenty of face loss if this film gets out in the North.

To wind up, the sceptic in me thinks that that whole hacking of Sony and the bollocks about this film being the cause of it is just that, bollocks. There's no such thing as bad publicity even for a bad movie movie like this one.



1 comment:

  1. hello everyone. I want to recommend (WORLDCYBERHACK) on instagram or WhatsApp : +12678773020 for helping me getting access to my girlfriends mobile phone. He was reliable and trustworthy. you can contact him if you need help. He will surely help you. I am grateful I met him

    ReplyDelete